Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sea Breeze Series (#1-9) by Abbi Glines



You might have noticed I’ve been MIA for the past week but I have good reason. I decided that after reading through Abbi Glines “Rosemary Beach” series earlier this year I would give her other series “Sea Breeze” a try. Well turns out the series is awesome and I read through all nine books in less than a week. You might be wondering how the heck I made it through 9 books in 5 days along with working a full-time job, well we can blame my insomnia for that. 

Anyways – the Sea Breeze series follows a group a friends. Each book focuses on a different character (with the exception that books #3&#5 follow Cage and Eva) and of course we get glimpses of the other characters in each book. One reason I really liked this series is that the timeline progressed with each book. By the time we reach the 8th and 9th book we are 5 years from the events of the first book. I’m a fan of this approach. I hate reading long series where each book takes place in the same time frame but follows different characters and the author spends so much time trying to intertwine the storyline that I end up being annoyed with it. 

The final book was interesting as it actually jumped back in time to how Rock and Trisha met and fell in love back in high school, at least 3-4 years before the events of “Breathe.” The final book was phenomenal because almost half of it was made up of epilogues for each couple. Abbi Glines really knows how to wrap up a series and provide closure to her readers. Not only do we get an epilogue for each character that takes place shortly after the events of the 8th book but we get an epilogue from the point of view of one of the couple’s children that takes place 10 years after that (that also adds Rosemary Beach crossover potential). 

As can be expected from Abbi Glines these books are full of emotion and twists & turns. One thing I really like about Abbi Glines writing is she always has foreshadowing but it’s not obvious to the point that it ruins the surprise. I think in most of these books there is enough information early on for the reader to have some idea what might transpire but it’s still a shock when it happens. 

I would overall give these entire series 4 out of 5 stars. Like most series that follow multiple characters you will find that you relate to some of the characters and situations better than others. If I were to rate all the books individually they would all be between 3 and 5 stars so to summarize my ranting – I highly recommend that fans of the “New Adult” genre pick up this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment