Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Playing with Fire by Lexi Ryan





Playing with Fire is a standalone novel by Lexi Ryan. This book takes part in the same town and with the same people from Splintered Hearts, Here and Now, and Reckless & Real. My recommendation would be to read the other series before you read this so you understand some of the backstories that are happening. There are a lot of references in this book to the other characters and things that happened in the past and it could be somewhat confusing if you haven’t read the others. 

I read the other books in the wrong order which caused some confusion so here is the correct order to read them in:

1)    Splintered Hearts Series (Unbreak Me, Stolen Wishes, Wish I May)
2)    Here and Now Series (Lost in Me, Fall to You, All for This)
3)    Reckless & Real (Something Wild, Something Reckless, Something Real)
4)    Playing with Fire

I have loved every book I’ve read by Lexi Ryan and this one was no different. I particularly liked this one because it was different than the rest in that had an element of suspense. Parts of it were almost like a crime thriller novel. 

Throughout the whole book we get glimpses to Nix’s past and why she is so closed off to having a relationship. Max (from Here and Now) is the main male character in this book and I have to say it was heartbreaking seeing some of the stuff he is put through again. I mean can that guy catch a break? Some parts of this book were uncomfortable to read due to the nature (cults, child brides, crazy religious ideals, etc) but I don’t say that in a bad way. That “uncomfortableness” made for a good story because it was different and made you want to keep reading in order to see where the story was going. The ending was a little surprising and it’s been a while since I’ve read a book with a fantastic dramatic ending so it was great.



Description
Dr. Phoenix Reid isn't who she seems...

Everyone knows a phoenix rises from the ashes. What they don't talk about are the people she drags with her into the fire.

I thought one hot night with Max Hallowell was harmless. I never expected it would force me to face my past or bring back the man who swore he'd never let me go. Now Max wants to help me. Wants to save me. But if I let him, he'll be destroyed. I can already smell the flames.

A woman with a secret past. A man determined to protect her. A dangerous passion that could cost them both everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment