Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Release Day 5 Star Review: Kick Push by Jay McLean





Kick Push was released today, August 4th! It is either the 2nd book in “The Road” series or a stand-alone novel (depending on who you ask, there seems to be some differing opinions on Goodreads as to whether this is part of the series or not). In my mind I am considering this to be the 2nd novel in the series but be forewarned – this book ends on a cliffhanger and no release date has been set for the next book! I did not know this going in to it and I probably would have waited. I read over 400 books a year and don’t like to leave a book series and then come back to it later and pick up where it left off.   

Anyway – Jay McLean is up pretty high on my one-click author list. If she releases a book I don’t need to see a cover or a synopsis – I just hit pre-order and sit not so patiently waiting until release day. 

The main character in Kick Push is Josh. Josh has a son at 17 and his girlfriend abandons them. Josh has nowhere to turn and Chaz takes him and his son, Tommy, in to her home. Fast forward 3 years later and Chaz’s granddaughter with a mysterious past comes to live with her. You see where this is going right? Josh and Becca (the granddaughter) fall in love but various things from both their pasts keep them apart. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot because you absolutely need to read this book. I laughed, I cried, my heart broke a little bit, I cried some happy tears, and then was left with a cliffhanger ending. Becca and Josh’s story is not finished and I am not so patiently awaiting that next installment. 



Description

There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the greatest feeling in the world.
Then at seventeen, I had my son.
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad.
That’s what my life became.
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did.
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me.
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air?
Coming down from the high.
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick.
Then kick, push, and coast away.
Other times you fall.
You fall hard.
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment