Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Trust by BR Kingsolver

Buy this book now on Amazon: Link

***I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for a review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”***

Trust started out promising. The set-up was pretty good, there was some action in the first 25%, but I just could not relate to the main character. Ashley just seemed like an arrogant idiot. I really wanted to relate to her character because I thought the story had promise but I couldn’t get past my annoyance at how stupid Ashley was being. 

So the premise of the story is that Ashley is graduating college and looking for a job that will allow her to travel and see the world. She’s been applying for a bunch of jobs but decides to take the manager position at the bar she works at while waiting for the job she really wants. This guy (Jeff) keeps coming into the bar and hitting on her but Ashley isn’t interested. One night after closing Ashley is leaving and is attacked by a rapist. Jeff just happens to be driving by and acts as her knight in shining armor. This makes Ashley decide that she wants to give Jeff a chance so she starts sleeping with him. This “relationship” goes one for months but Jeff only shows up late at night, won’t tell Ashley where he lives, won’t take her out in public, etc but apparently Ashley never bothers to question whether Jeff is a lying, cheating scumbag. Ashley starts hanging out with Ryan (Jeff’s roommate). Ryan falls in love with Ashley but since Ashley is an idiot she decides she wants to keep sleeping with Jeff. Ashley finally has enough of Jeff and breaks it off and eventually starts working on a “friends-only” relationship with Ryan that turns into more. Later Ashley finds out Jeff is engaged to some rich girl and feels like Ryan should have told her. So being the immature person she is she breaks it off with Ryan. 

Long story short Ryan makes amends, proposes, and they move in together. Honestly the last 25% of the book was completely anti-climactic.

2 out of 5 stars. I also highly disliked the cover. I almost didn’t read it because the cover makes it look kind of trashy.



Description
The history of my relationships reads like the Titanic meets a tornado during an earthquake. Disaster after disaster. For some reason, I'm always attracted to lying jerks. I finally decided that it's better to just have a good time and no one gets hurt. That philosophy worked for my last two years of college.
Then I let myself get pulled in again by a pair of broad shoulders, pretty hazel eyes, and kisses that turned my brain to mush. Of course he was lying to me. All my friends told me something wasn't right, but I'm such a fool.

When it all went wrong, I didn't expect his tall, dark, and handsome roommate being there to catch me. I think I love him. But can I trust him? He makes me happy. Can I trust myself?

Ashley graduated from college and isn’t looking for romance. What she needs is a job and the career she’s worked so hard to achieve. Can her dream of working overseas survive a man who seeks to capture her heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment